Nothing says ‘Autumn’ quite like apple recipes.
Falling leaves, crispy weather and golden sunshine – it’s shared by many as their favourite season of the year.
As the weather turns colder, many will be craving those warm, sweet desserts that give them a homely feeling.
Our chef has come up with the perfect extra to add to all your Autumn bakes – Caramel Apple Butter! Imagine the taste as it spreads across homemade pancakes or added to apple crumble to really make the flavours sing.
Here’s how to make it.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 90 minutes
Makes: 5 jars
15/1.2kg seasonal apples
45g unsalted butter, chopped
150g dark brown soft sugar
175ml double cream
½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180oC, gas mark 4.
- Peel, core and chop apples into 1cm chunks and pile into large baking dish, dot with 15g butter and bake for 40 minutes or until pale golden and soft. Transfer to large blender.
- Add sugar to a large saucepan with 3 tablespoons of water. Gently heat until dissolved, then turn heat up to medium-high and simmer for 2 minutes, until bubbling, thick and syrupy.
- Stir in cream and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in butter and salt.
- Add to blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour the hot mixture into sterilised jars, seal and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.